Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Principal FPGA Design Engineer (663429) in Westminster, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace leads the way in designing, developing and manufacturing innovative aerospace systems. We take on some of the most complex and exciting challenges in the universe--from space and Earth science to national security and intelligence programs.
We produce spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions, and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. In addition, we pioneered the development of the commercial remote sensing market, producing spacecraft and imaging systems that helped spawn a market-driven demand for imagery.
Our success is built on more than products or systems. Our team of more than 3,000 engineers, scientists, technicians and support staff drives all the achievements at Ball Aerospace. Whether contributing to a better understanding of the universe or helping keep our nation safe, our people bring their diverse backgrounds, perspectives and skills together to achieve a common mission.
*Principal FPGA and Digital Design Engineer *
What You'll Do
- Design digital hardware including FPGA development for space-based, high reliability electronic systems. Assignments include designs which will include SOC architectures utilizing soft-core processors, digital filters, image processing algorithms, and communication interfaces/protocols.
- Design and implement test fixtures including test plans for both chip-level and board level environments and create reusable circuits that can be utilized across multiple projects.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the SBU/SSU and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Digital system partitioning and advanced function implementation in FPGAs. Strong design, documentation and implementation of high-speed digital electronics, FPGAs, and embedded processor systems are desired.
- Strong electronic circuit design and electronic systems background.
- Strong FPGA and board design skills.
- Expertise in VHDL/Verilog, System Verilog and OVM/UVM, and Modelsim/Questa simulator is a plus.
- Experience in developing specifications, cost, schedule, and resource requirements for digital/FPGA designs.
- Familiarity with cPCI, Ethernet, DSP, 1553, VPX, Spacewire or Firewire is a plus.
- Familiarity with Mentor Graphics DxD, Hyperlynx for schematic design and SI analysis is a plus
- Ability to work requirements and flow down for system/subsystem/box/board needs.
- Knowledge of space radiation effects is a plus.
- Familiarity with ASIC tools, libraries, design flow and fabrication is a plus.
- Space or military experience highly desired, but not required.
- Ability to get a security clearance is required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong presentation skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
*This position is eligible for a Hiring Incentive of a minimum of $20,000. *
Successful applicant for this position must be eligible to obtain a DoD clearance. A current DoD clearance is not required to be eligible for this position, however the successful applicant will be required to obtain a DoD clearance within a reasonable time after the offer is extended and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance. * US Citizenship is Required
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Principal FPGA Design Engineer (663429)
Job ID: 663429
Location: CO - Westminster
Full/Part Time: Full-Time