Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Superintendent, Plant Process in Fairfield, California
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation, since its founding in 1880, has evolved and expanded from its humble beginnings as a manufacturer of wood-jacketed tin cans into the global manufacturing leader it is today. From the development of innovative metal packaging to the beverage, food and consumer goods markets to delivering proven instruments, sensors and spacecraft to the aerospace and defense industries, Ball’s unmatched expertise and global reach ensure that no matter our customers’ mission, we are there to help them achieve it.
Ball’s beverage packaging, which delivers more than just a cold drink. We pride in creating metal beverage cans and bottles that are smart, practical, sustainable and eye-catching. From our aluminum beverage cans ranging in excess of 20 different sizes to the versatile, recloseable Alumni-Tek bottle to the Dynamark variable printing technology that allows us to print up to 24 design variations per production run, we work closely with our customers to deliver a unique packaging experience to consumers.
With the help of our 18,450 talented employees around the world, Ball will continue to revolutionize our industries, serve our customers, and put the right people, processes and partners in place to help us achieve our vision and create long-term value for all our shareholders.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety meetings, performing monthly safety inspections, and investigating accidents, as required.
- Supports development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement of the food safety system.
- Responsible for ensuring round the clock efficient operations for assigned process area.
- Manages the resources and activities for functional area or process assigned.
- Supervises process team members.
- Establishes maintenance procedures on equipment, including planning, budgeting, execution, and periodic review.
- Responsible for planning, administering, and managing the budget for assigned process area.
- Applies knowledge of functional area to conduct system and process analysis, identifies opportunities for improvement, and makes recommendations to management.
- Diagnoses problem areas and develops and implements corrective action plans.
- Participates in designing and overseeing new systems and processes that improve and enhance plant performance in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, and cost reduction.
- Collects and organizes data in order to generate and maintain reports and schedules related to functional area.
- Coordinates and applies maintenance techniques directed toward monitoring and reducing maintenance and repair costs.
- Arranges for maintenance of adequate level of supplies, materials, and parts so that there will be no interruption in operations due to shortages.
- Arranges for all equipment in area to be properly maintained and upgraded as needed.
- Arranges for training of employees in proper maintenance programs and procedures for plant production equipment.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence that will discourage third party interference; or establishes and maintains an employee relations climate of trust and confidence with employees, their union stewards and representatives which will promote achievement of plant and company goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the division, the group, and the company. Includes ability to handle stress and to interact with others so as to establish and maintain a positive and productive work environment and minimize personal conflicts.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually five days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for effective management, including provision for selection and development of employees, salary administration, budget administration, employee safety, employee counseling, motivation, meeting objectives, planning, organizing, integrating and measuring the work performed within the organization.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required between the assigned start and end times of work.
- Assures and maintains safe and healthful working conditions while enforcing safety rules and regulations.
- Performs duties without posing a direct threat to anyone or to property. Direct threat is defined as a significant risk of substantial harm that cannot be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work independently within parameters set by management. 28. Communicates with the emergency coordinate (EC) or Environmental Focal Point/Environmental Manager
- (EFP/EM) regarding environmental management activities.
- Understands and responds effectively to EC directions during emergencies by being familiar with emergency procedures, equipment, and systems, as necessary. Implements contingency plan to the level required by the position.
- Understands, completes, and maintains environmental documentation for which the individual is trained, or as directed by the EC, EFP, or EM (i.e., inspections, labeling, record keeping, maintenance of equipment, etc.). Reports to the EC, EFP, or EM on the status of assigned responsibilities.
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work assignment.
- Recognizes waste streams and minimizes waste generation, through prudent use of materials, proper disposal and segregation as directed during training or by the EC. Understands and practices proper accumulation and storage requirements for wastes.
- Complies with environmental regulations when using, dispensing, or handling hazardous and non-hazardous materials and wastes.
- Broad training in the technical field usually acquired through working in equipment maintenance.
- College degree preferred.
- Job-related experience for 5 years minimum.
Working knowledge of the following areas: production processes, product specifications and technology of equipment and generally accepted supervisory practices and procedures
Ability to apply intensive and diversified evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard plant production, chemical process, and warehouse techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Ability to negotiate with contractors for facilities/building maintenance.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic, geometric, and algebraic calculations.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Maintains awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
Works in both office and manufacturing environments.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards including, but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Requires short-term and long-term domestic and international travel. (5% travel)
Relocation for this position is Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.
Job Title: Superintendent, Plant Process
Job ID: 664429
Location: CA - Fairfield
Full/Part Time: Full-Time